The picture
frame had been sitting in my room all summer, empty. At the beginning of the summer,
my sister had bought it for me. The frame read “School Buddies”. That’s the
only reason it was empty. Don’t get me wrong I had friends, but none that I had
talked to EVERYDAY of the year or had a sleepover and just took pictures with
all night. I mean I did have friends like that, but not from school. It would
be so easy to just SNAP and done, but school was not my forte, for grades or
friends. To me it was Seven Crappy Hours of Our Lives. However, I had a plan
for that to change; I was trying to get into another school so I could focus on
the career that I wanted to go into instead of random classes that did nothing
but bore me. It was a chance for a new start, and I was dying to get one. Therefore,
in the last months of my freshman year I did everything I could to get in. I
turned in the application early, got my grades up, and tried be an even better
student. Anything.
When summer hit, I started checking the mail every day knowing
that it would be coming soon, and every day I didn't get the letter I prayed to
God to let me get in. Finally, one day in the middle of July a pure white
envelope with black lettering, that had the schools name printed on the top
left hand corner and my name stamped in the middle. I ran inside and ripped it
open. I read allowed, “Congratulations, you have been accepted for the
sophomore exploratory program…” I had done it. I had gotten in, but the frame
still sat empty.
Two days before school started, I started to get nervous, but not
just for school, my dad was having the biggest surgery of his life and school
was in just two days. I wanted so badly to just forget everything and go back
to the same horrible torturous days of high school, but everyone kept telling
me it was going to be fine. They told me I made the right choice and that I
could get through it just fine. It went on and on, but nothing calmed me, not
even knowing that my dad’s surgery went just fine.
The night before school started, my best friend Sophia, decided to
have a movie night. We had milk duds, threw pop corn at each other, and watched
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, but even milk duds and our favorite movie didn't take my mind off the pressures of the next day. After it was all over the
conversation was directed towards me and the only advice Sophia gave me was
“Bec, just be yourself and don’t go all quiet on us, kay?” I nodded my head. By
far that was the worst advice Sophia had ever given me.
By the second day of school, I was already making friends, but it
seemed hopeless, I didn't see anyone that could be my best friend. There was
Melissa and Danielle but that was just going to be another losing battle.
After being in school for one month and one week, my moms car
pulls into a rocky drive way and a girl with long brown curly hair, glasses
that made her blue eyes look huge, walked up and greeted me. I walked into the
house and we all changed into our dresses. They tell me about how we are going
to take so many pictures at the sleep over that night and it was going to be so
much fun, and I couldn't wait. I was finally going to get that photo, but I was
going to have to wait.
As the sun was about to set we put the botanizers on our dates and
they put the corsages on our wrists. We quickly snuck over to the neighbors’
yard to take pictures. Finally, at the very end of the entire group’s photos
mom says, “Now let’s have just the three girls get together, for a group
photo.” Melissa gets in the middle and Danielle and I place each other at her
side. The boys leave the picture; we lean in and smile together.
SNAP!
FINALLY…
No comments:
Post a Comment