Once upon a time there was a little princess. She lived in a big castle with her whole family. Her life seemed perfect; she loved everything about it especially right before she went to bed. At the end of every day, whether it was a busy day full of work and lessons, or just a fun day full of fun with friends and family, her dad would come into her room at night and kneel on the floor next to her bed. She would get down and do the same imitating everything down to his posture and facial expressions. She would fold her hands and pray a little prayer. She would pray for many things, ranging from her dog Brandie, to the dish that broke that night at dinner. The sky was the limit for this little princess. When she was done praying she would end with a long “AAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEN,” and look up at her dad, the king. He would take a second and then repeat her exact words.
“Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa… hold on here. This story isn’t right; I thought you said it was going to be about when my parents were younger.”
“Well yah, but I’m just adding a little extra to it, but you’ll still get the same story. Do you want to hear a bed time story or not?”
“Well, yah.”
“Okay, so settle down and I’ll tell you a little creative story about how your parents.”
“Fine grandma but can I say something? My daddy does the same thing with me every night, and he prays a little bit longer than me.”
“That’s right; do you know what he prays for?”
“He says he prays for my husband all the time. Which I don’t know how considering I don’t know who this person is I mean I’m not getting married till I’m as old as you! I’m only seven. But the other thing he would pray for though was my heart that’s what he told me!”
“That’s right, and that’s the most important part of the story the heart. Now listen closely.”
“But I don’t I know how this is going to end? My parents get married and then the stork senses their happiness and drops me off?”
“Not this part of the story… we’ll uhh get to that some other night, maybe when you are older. This part of the story about your parents is the decision your mom made. She asked… well you’ll see. Now let me continue with my story.”
Okay, so this princess grew up in the castle knowing one day she would inherit the small kingdom. When she came of age her father started mentioning the idea of suitors. She groaned at the thought. Hours upon hours meeting Princes, Dukes and Knights from all over the world, when the reality was, she didn’t want to meet them. She would never admit it to her father but she liked her friend Liam.
He was a prince, a well mannered one, trained in all the best skills archery, and fencing, he was bilingual and had excellent grades. He was even second in line for the throne of a bigger kingdom; he would be an excellent suitor for the princess.
Liam was a good friend, one the princess loved to be around at all times of the day. She smiled when she thought of him, or even heard his name. When she unexpectedly saw him she would almost burst every time. She was sure he knew about her little crush, but even then he remained to be her friend not making things awkward.
He was the perfect suitor, perfect friend, and her dad would have even said yes, but there was one problem. He was in love with her best friend Abby and she wasn’t going to dare to get in the way of her two best friends.
So for months her dad organized meetings and parties for the princess to meet different suitors. Everyone she turned down, and the reason was simple, they weren’t Liam. Finally after waiting three years for Liam, hoping that Abby and Liam would decide that they would be better off being just friends the princess decided to try and move on. That’s when Demetry came along… well he had always been there, but never did anything about it.
Demetry and the princess had been good friends for years. He was one of the servants in the castle his parents served her father and mother for years and he had always been the one to do all of the cleaning. For years the princess over looked Demetry because he wasn’t Liam, then the day she tried to move on, he came along. She mentioned that something should change; at that moment he said he liked her and those words echoed in her mind. As soon as the words “what do you think if we went out, to help me get over Liam,” were done being spoken her stomach turned, something wasn’t right. He told her he would think about it, so she waited.
In waiting for his reply she sent a message through all the servants of the castle to come see her. That night he met her in the hallway outside of her room. “I don’t care what your answer is Demetry, but it was a bad idea I can’t do this.”
He never told the princess but it angered him, he was going to say yes, it may have been his only chance. “I’m so sorry, it was a huge mistake.” She went back to her room hoping that he wouldn’t stay mad at her.
Exactly two weeks later the princess ran into Demetry, he was in the hallway cleaning one of the vases. He seemed upset; worried she asked what was wrong. All he said was girls, and at that moment she prayed it wasn’t about her. He went on and her worst fears came to face her straight in the face. He was upset about her. “Look I’m sorry, I never should have done that.” The princess said looking down.
“It’s all because of Prince Liam isn’t it? Because I could see the way you looked at him. For years you’ve had your eyes focused on just him. Not even noticing me, when I was right in front of you this entire time?”
“Demetry, I’ve been trying to get over him, can’t you see that. I’m even letting my best friend date him.”
“Yes and it kills you. You love him just admit it, don’t deny it. He sees it, I see it and he’s trying not to break your heart. That’s why he hasn’t been hanging out as much. He doesn’t want to break your heart so he avoids you. Then guess what, I’m over here and the only one to talk to so that’s what you do. I’m here for you all of the time, but your mind has been so focused on Liam you forget about me. Like I said, you don’t even see what’s in front of you.”
He put the vase down and walked away, his face all red, “and you are right, it would never work because you can only love one person and I know it’s not me!”
At that point the princess didn’t even want to respond, that… was mostly true. Except that night, that night her stomach turned and she remembered why it did. When she would pray with her dad her dad would pray that she know when and when not to date a boy. As the princess grew older she told God to warn her by making her stomach hurt, and it’s been that way ever since.
That night she thought and thought, and thought some more… maybe heartbreak by Prince Liam himself would be what she needed. By morning she came to the conclusion, she needed to talk to Prince Liam, immediately.
The following afternoon the princess sat down with the prince and explained everything. He didn’t seem surprised at what she was telling him, until she told him about the previous night.
The following words didn’t come out just as easily, “he was right, I do love you, and it’s not something I think I’ll ever stop doing, but I can move on, so in order to do that I want to try something.”
He sat intently listening to her words, “I need you to do me a favor, give me the best day of my life. Let me live my fairy tale with you. Obviously not harming your relationship with Abby,” Just as he was about to answer she continued. “Afterwards you would then tell me that it’s never going to happen again, tell me anything that would break my heart and don’t stop until I’m in tears.”
He thought for a moment. The plan entirely sounded cruel, her eyes begged him. He focused her eyes on his and seeing his blue eyes brought her back to the night. The first time she saw them her Abby’s birthday party, she sat across the table from him. She was eating the sub, the table had gotten unusually quiet, and they were trying to listen to what her Abby’s mom was trying to say from inside the other room. That’s when she looked up and saw his perfectly blonde spiked hair. Wearing a suit, his teeth perfectly straight and white, and his blue eyes sparkled in the dining hall’s lighting
“So you love me huh?” His words broke her from her memory and she came back to reality realizing what was going on. “Well then all I have to say is…”
“Hey mom, you need to put Emma to bed.” Emma’s mom, Becca, said as she stuck her head through the crack in the door of her bedroom.
“Hold on Becca, I’m not done with the story.” Her mom said holding up her finger telling her to wait one second.
“Now…” Becca said scolding her own mother in law.
“Okay I guess I’ll have to tell you what he says later…” Lisa said as she tucked Emma into bed.
“What? Mommy!” Emma cried.
“Emma darling, I’m sure whatever it is, it can wait.”
“No it can’t! I want to know what happens between Liam, Demetry and the princess.” Emma exclaimed.
Becca gave her mother a smile, “yeah Emma, the rest of the story can wait for another night.” Emma let out a groan and turned over in her bed violently.
“Can you at least tell me if he breaks her heart?” Emma muttered to the wall.
Her mother paused for a moment and finally spoke, “… yeah he does…”
Emma flopped back over and let out a gasp.
“But let me tell you, that’s not where it ends...”
“Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa… hold on here. This story isn’t right; I thought you said it was going to be about when my parents were younger.”
“Well yah, but I’m just adding a little extra to it, but you’ll still get the same story. Do you want to hear a bed time story or not?”
“Well, yah.”
“Okay, so settle down and I’ll tell you a little creative story about how your parents.”
“Fine grandma but can I say something? My daddy does the same thing with me every night, and he prays a little bit longer than me.”
“That’s right; do you know what he prays for?”
“He says he prays for my husband all the time. Which I don’t know how considering I don’t know who this person is I mean I’m not getting married till I’m as old as you! I’m only seven. But the other thing he would pray for though was my heart that’s what he told me!”
“That’s right, and that’s the most important part of the story the heart. Now listen closely.”
“But I don’t I know how this is going to end? My parents get married and then the stork senses their happiness and drops me off?”
“Not this part of the story… we’ll uhh get to that some other night, maybe when you are older. This part of the story about your parents is the decision your mom made. She asked… well you’ll see. Now let me continue with my story.”
Okay, so this princess grew up in the castle knowing one day she would inherit the small kingdom. When she came of age her father started mentioning the idea of suitors. She groaned at the thought. Hours upon hours meeting Princes, Dukes and Knights from all over the world, when the reality was, she didn’t want to meet them. She would never admit it to her father but she liked her friend Liam.
He was a prince, a well mannered one, trained in all the best skills archery, and fencing, he was bilingual and had excellent grades. He was even second in line for the throne of a bigger kingdom; he would be an excellent suitor for the princess.
Liam was a good friend, one the princess loved to be around at all times of the day. She smiled when she thought of him, or even heard his name. When she unexpectedly saw him she would almost burst every time. She was sure he knew about her little crush, but even then he remained to be her friend not making things awkward.
He was the perfect suitor, perfect friend, and her dad would have even said yes, but there was one problem. He was in love with her best friend Abby and she wasn’t going to dare to get in the way of her two best friends.
So for months her dad organized meetings and parties for the princess to meet different suitors. Everyone she turned down, and the reason was simple, they weren’t Liam. Finally after waiting three years for Liam, hoping that Abby and Liam would decide that they would be better off being just friends the princess decided to try and move on. That’s when Demetry came along… well he had always been there, but never did anything about it.
Demetry and the princess had been good friends for years. He was one of the servants in the castle his parents served her father and mother for years and he had always been the one to do all of the cleaning. For years the princess over looked Demetry because he wasn’t Liam, then the day she tried to move on, he came along. She mentioned that something should change; at that moment he said he liked her and those words echoed in her mind. As soon as the words “what do you think if we went out, to help me get over Liam,” were done being spoken her stomach turned, something wasn’t right. He told her he would think about it, so she waited.
In waiting for his reply she sent a message through all the servants of the castle to come see her. That night he met her in the hallway outside of her room. “I don’t care what your answer is Demetry, but it was a bad idea I can’t do this.”
He never told the princess but it angered him, he was going to say yes, it may have been his only chance. “I’m so sorry, it was a huge mistake.” She went back to her room hoping that he wouldn’t stay mad at her.
Exactly two weeks later the princess ran into Demetry, he was in the hallway cleaning one of the vases. He seemed upset; worried she asked what was wrong. All he said was girls, and at that moment she prayed it wasn’t about her. He went on and her worst fears came to face her straight in the face. He was upset about her. “Look I’m sorry, I never should have done that.” The princess said looking down.
“It’s all because of Prince Liam isn’t it? Because I could see the way you looked at him. For years you’ve had your eyes focused on just him. Not even noticing me, when I was right in front of you this entire time?”
“Demetry, I’ve been trying to get over him, can’t you see that. I’m even letting my best friend date him.”
“Yes and it kills you. You love him just admit it, don’t deny it. He sees it, I see it and he’s trying not to break your heart. That’s why he hasn’t been hanging out as much. He doesn’t want to break your heart so he avoids you. Then guess what, I’m over here and the only one to talk to so that’s what you do. I’m here for you all of the time, but your mind has been so focused on Liam you forget about me. Like I said, you don’t even see what’s in front of you.”
He put the vase down and walked away, his face all red, “and you are right, it would never work because you can only love one person and I know it’s not me!”
At that point the princess didn’t even want to respond, that… was mostly true. Except that night, that night her stomach turned and she remembered why it did. When she would pray with her dad her dad would pray that she know when and when not to date a boy. As the princess grew older she told God to warn her by making her stomach hurt, and it’s been that way ever since.
That night she thought and thought, and thought some more… maybe heartbreak by Prince Liam himself would be what she needed. By morning she came to the conclusion, she needed to talk to Prince Liam, immediately.
The following afternoon the princess sat down with the prince and explained everything. He didn’t seem surprised at what she was telling him, until she told him about the previous night.
The following words didn’t come out just as easily, “he was right, I do love you, and it’s not something I think I’ll ever stop doing, but I can move on, so in order to do that I want to try something.”
He sat intently listening to her words, “I need you to do me a favor, give me the best day of my life. Let me live my fairy tale with you. Obviously not harming your relationship with Abby,” Just as he was about to answer she continued. “Afterwards you would then tell me that it’s never going to happen again, tell me anything that would break my heart and don’t stop until I’m in tears.”
He thought for a moment. The plan entirely sounded cruel, her eyes begged him. He focused her eyes on his and seeing his blue eyes brought her back to the night. The first time she saw them her Abby’s birthday party, she sat across the table from him. She was eating the sub, the table had gotten unusually quiet, and they were trying to listen to what her Abby’s mom was trying to say from inside the other room. That’s when she looked up and saw his perfectly blonde spiked hair. Wearing a suit, his teeth perfectly straight and white, and his blue eyes sparkled in the dining hall’s lighting
“So you love me huh?” His words broke her from her memory and she came back to reality realizing what was going on. “Well then all I have to say is…”
“Hey mom, you need to put Emma to bed.” Emma’s mom, Becca, said as she stuck her head through the crack in the door of her bedroom.
“Hold on Becca, I’m not done with the story.” Her mom said holding up her finger telling her to wait one second.
“Now…” Becca said scolding her own mother in law.
“Okay I guess I’ll have to tell you what he says later…” Lisa said as she tucked Emma into bed.
“What? Mommy!” Emma cried.
“Emma darling, I’m sure whatever it is, it can wait.”
“No it can’t! I want to know what happens between Liam, Demetry and the princess.” Emma exclaimed.
Becca gave her mother a smile, “yeah Emma, the rest of the story can wait for another night.” Emma let out a groan and turned over in her bed violently.
“Can you at least tell me if he breaks her heart?” Emma muttered to the wall.
Her mother paused for a moment and finally spoke, “… yeah he does…”
Emma flopped back over and let out a gasp.
“But let me tell you, that’s not where it ends...”
No comments:
Post a Comment