The door
closes and we lock it behind her. The bathroom door is next, followed by the
blinds as I reach across the bed. I sit up to find him standing directly in
front of me. I can feel my heart starting to pound against my chest, as my
breaths get short. A year and a half later, and I still get nervous around him.
He leans in
and I close my eyes, every warm breath he takes, I can feel it on my face.
Everything about him, his taste, his smell, the scratch of his unshaven face,
it’s all familiar and comforting.
We fall
back onto my bed, my feet still dangling over the edge of the bed, and I feel
his hands starting to search their way up my back, against my bare skin. They
reach my shoulders and I put my arms up, submitting. All my worries about if
this is right or wrong, slip away. I don’t care anymore; I love him that is all
that matters. I expect the exposure to the air to be cold, but his chest leans
against mine, and my back is against my bed. It’s warm.
Now it’s my
turn, he keeps kissing me as my hands find the bottom of his shirt and slide up
the side of his body. His bare back is strong, and I can feel his muscles
starting to tense reacting to my cold hands. His hands go over his head, and
arms by his ears as I slide his green shirt off his body and let it fall to the
floor. I run my hands over his chest, his heart is pounding just as hard as
mine, his breath is uneven as well.
Our eyes
meet and I lay on my bed as his hands go to my pants. I feel the top of my
jeans loosen and the sound of the zipper, reminds me of what is really
happening. I straighten my legs and he grabs my jeans at my ankles and pulls. I
squirm, letting everything slip off my body, leaving nothing hidden, everything
about me revealed. His eyes scan my naked body, our eyes meet again and he
smiles. I position myself on my bed, with my head now on my pillows as he
strips the last big of his cloths off his body as they drop to the floor.
His naked
body climbs on top of mine. He knows exactly what to do; he starts at my lips,
down my neck, my chest to my stomach, slowly moving further and further down.
“No, Caleb!” My hands immediately move to cover my vital area as I think back
to the beginning of the year.
At the end of the summer, my hands
were busy pulling hands off of the thigh of my jeans. Move in day, I was moving
a hand away from underwear, so it moved back to my thigh that was once off
limits. The next visit was jumping off when one finger tried to slip in, “I let
you touch, don’t ruin this for yourself…”
I could
feel my innocence starting to slip with every visit, the next time, piece by
piece each layer of clothing came off as we took turns peeling them off each
other. That’s how we got to this point; we made it two rounds without trying
anything new, until break. Over break, his head started to move further and
further down to where it is now and I stopped him, back then I didn’t want it
to happen. I knew where I stood. He gave a disappointed grunt but I whispered,
“I’m surprised you haven’t tried the finger again…” I looked at me with shock.
“Do you
want me to?” Yes, I wanted to say,
but I don’t. His eyebrows rose, as they begged for an answer, but my lips
didn’t move. I could feel his hand slide over and it stung, like a large tampon
slipping inside. “Ow!” I verbalize, but he didn’t stop, “Okay, take it out.”
“He listened, “it felt like you were inside my stomach.”
“Did it
really hurt that badly?”
“I mean it
wasn’t excruciating, but it did hurt.”
“Then sex
is going to be so painful…” he laughed and kissed me once again as I moan,
thinking about the bittersweet day when he finally takes that from me. How much
it’s going to hurt, but how great it’s going to feel. Finally, not having to
say no to him, or myself.
His words
bring me back to reality, “come on, it’s not sex for you, you said so
yourself…” he grabs my hands, and I resist. The last week plays in my mind, “it feels so good, you should let him…”
my future roommate’s words echo in my mind. “If
you love him, you would give him everything…” a snippy little voice seems
to whisper in my ear
My hands
struggle, to fight him. I knew this was going to happen before he even came up,
it’s been decided for days, but he doesn’t know this. I just can’t let him
think that it is easy, I handed him the last couple without any fights. He
knows that I’ve been slowly slipping as he helps me realize how satisfying
every step we take closer and closer to truly being together. So my arms
struggle to fight his, and I mentally battle all the thoughts running through
my mind. “You can’t let him,” followed
by, “but you want him to so badly! How
much longer are you going to make the both of you wait!?”
And I give up.
It’s warm, and wet, even if I could get him to
stop, I wouldn’t want him to at this point, Kelly was right, it feels amazing. There
is a familiar sting, but I don’t stop him, why should I?
For a moment I forget about all of
the worries that should be running through my head, all I can think is why I
waited so long. Why I made him wait if it was going to happen anyway, we’ve
talked about getting engaged for months. Not now, we are still very young, but
eventually. This moment together comes and quickly goes, and I let him know
just by laughing. I let out a sigh and all he does is smile at me, and with a
seducing look says, “So what are we going to do for me?”
“I don’t know…” I say with a smile,
hoping that I can get away with not having to do anything, but I know that’s
never part of the deal. “Whatever it is… we aren’t having sex…”
I turn the shower on and grab some
towels, “not to rush you, but we only have about twenty minutes before we
should leave to go see the movie.”
“Okay… just hop in I’ll be right in
there.” My voice shakes, and I know he knows that I’m worried. I throw the
towels on the counter, as he hops in and I grab the soap, shampoo and
conditioner. I set them on the shower floor and close the shower curtain behind
me.
“Hey, don’t be worried about it.
Nothing is going to change.”
“Are you sure? How do you know?”
“Because, I love you. Nothing can
change that…” I know that it’s just a line, things could change, but I kiss him
anyway.
I kiss him because I love him. I
kiss him because I’m afraid of losing him, I’m afraid of what might happen
between us. The water comes splashing down on my face in little droplets; I
kiss his shoulder, and his neck. I don’t want this moment to end, but it has
to. We have a movie to get to.
We scrub each other down, and wash
each other’s hair, and the water turns off and I grab the towels. As he grabs
the towel from my hand our eyes meet and he mouths the words, “I promise.” I finally
smile at him, I should trust him with this, I just don’t want to be hurt. This
whole relationship I’ve been scared that saying no all the time might lead to…
I shouldn’t even be thinking about it. He says he won’t break up with me if I
keep saying no, so even now… it shouldn’t make a difference right?
That
Awkward Moment was a great movie and a great way to get my mind off of the
events of today. I want to hold it all in, remember it, because it was perfect…
all of it. Up until the end that is. As he drops me back off at the dorms, he
gives me one last goodbye kiss. I make sure to memorize everything about him,
the feeling of his face, his lips on mine. The smell of his breath in my face,
the scent of my deodorant on him, and the smell of his cloths. The feeling of
his hair in my hands, and the sparkle of his blue eyes that just begged me to
love him more.
I study
him; as if this is the last time I will ever see him. The last time I will get
to kiss him, as if these are the last few happy moments I will have to remember
him by. As he slips out the doorway, it’s like a movie moment. When our hands
slowly slip from each other, and he whispers I love you as he leaves the dorms.
“I’ll be back in a week!”
“Actually I
compete in a week!”
“Then make
it two!” I smile, and a feeling of relief comes over me. Two weeks, that’s all
I have to wait to see him again, to kiss him again.
A couple
weeks later, and I hear his familiar ringtone blaring from my desk. I reach
across, thankful for the break from homework, hopefully this conversation will
be long and take some of the stress off of all the work I still have to do.
“Hello
sweetheart!” I say excited to get a call from him, but I don’t get the response
I hoped for.
“Soph, it’s
Mrs. Knight.”
“Oh, hey, what’s going on?”
“Sorry, I would have called on my
phone, but it died. Has Caleb talked to you?”
“No, he said he had to go into work
today… so I was waiting for one of his breaks.”
“Well, yeah, Caleb went snow
boarding yesterday instead since he had the day off, but he fell. When he went
into work today, he had a hard time breathing, while he was trying to weld one
of the crates together… he passed out. So they called the ambulance, and took
him to the hospital. We found out that two of his ribs are fractured. He’s been
in the hospital all day.”
“Is he going to be okay?”
“Possibly, they are running tests
now.”
“Okay, well can you keep me
updated?”
“Actually… you might want to come
down if you can. He may be okay, but he’s having a rough time, and I’m sure he
could use the company. I could send Brittany up there to get you.”
“Yeah, I’ll get ready now.”
“Okay, I will see you in two
hours…” My roommate walks in as I hang up the phone.
“Sophie, what’s wrong?” she
immediately asks, knowing that something is wrong.
“Caleb… he’s in the hospital. It
may not be looking good. Bailee… I’ve seen all the bones episodes. He has two
fractured ribs, what if one of them puncture something?”
She comes over to my bed and gives
me a hug, “I’m sure he will be okay…”
“And if he isn’t?”
“I guess I just have one question…
do you regret that weekend?” It takes me a minute. If he dies tomorrow, will I
have regretted the decisions I made just a couple of weeks ago?
It’s simple. “No.”
“Well there you go, now go comfort
him, be by his side and pray for him. That’s all you can do…”
I arrive at the doctors, and he
looks pale, very pale and his lips are very red. Quickly I realize the red is
because he has been coughing up blood. “Hey babe,” he says reaching for my
hand. Brittany had said that I shouldn’t tell him anything that might cause him
to panic or worry, so I just grab his hand.
“Look, I’m sorry for freaking out…
I have no reason to worry. You’re right…”
We sit in the hospital for hours,
waiting for answers, but every time we hear some news it’s not good. In the
end, my worst fears are realized. “He has a collapsed lung because of the
changes of the pressure in his chest. This is often caused by a broken rib,
such as yours, tearing into the lung causing a puncture in the chest wall.”
“So
basically, there is free air in his lungs that is causing it to collapse?”
“Precisely.”
“So what
does this mean when it comes to Calebs’s future health?”
“Well since
he waited so long to come to the doctors, it’s not good… “ My eyes start to fill
with the stinging water they naturally provide in moments like this. The
thought of losing him is so unbelievable. This is supposed to work out; we are
supposed to grow old together, figure things out together, I’m supposed to get
to have his kids. We are supposed to get
married!
I can’t
help but think about that day that he came up, how I memorized everything about
him as I kissed him one last time before he left. How I thought he was going to
leave, and not come back just like every time. Except, the difference between
that time, and the times before it was… a lot.
Before that
day, I had always said no. I always told him that I wasn’t ready to have sex,
but that day we went further than usual. They always say that when the time
comes, and it’s the right person you will know… and I knew.
He grabbed the condom out of his wallet, he swore it wasn’t
old, he even had the receipt. Right before, he asked one last time. All I did
was nod, and say, “yes, I love you.” Slowly it slipped in, and like we figured,
it was painful, but he was gentle about it. With every little move he was
careful, and understanding. It was… unforgettable. When it was over, all he did
was kiss me, and asked, “Are you okay?”
I nodded, but only said, “I love
you.”
“I love you too, and it’s not
because you just gave me what I’ve been asking for… I promise. I’m not going to
leave, Sophie, I love you.” He kisses me once again as we sit up.
That’s when we noticed. It had
broke.
He told me I had nothing to worry
about, that it’s not going to happen the first time, but I of all people should
know better. It only took my parents one time to have me; they weren’t even
supposed to be having sex because of my mother’s surgery. But you know, my dad
begged and my mom said yes and that was the night I was conceived.
After a quick panic attack, that is
when we hopped into the shower. When I arrived at the hospital, I had already
had many signs starting. I just started having morning sickness, tender
breasts, mood swings, my appetite had changed. Then the obvious happened, I
missed my period. The morning of the day Mrs. Knight called, I had taken the
test, and it had come out positive. On the ride to the hospital, I told
Brittany what had happened. She knew something was wrong when I was getting car
sick, and then being quiet about it.
As I look at him, I can see Caleb
in his tiny little face. He has Caleb’s eyes, and it makes me miss him. Caleb
only made it a couple more days in the hospital, before his lungs couldn’t hold
on much longer. I told him about the pregnancy before he passed, and we came up
with names together. We argued about what the boy name might be, but I told him
that if he didn’t make it the name would be Caleb, so I could tell him about
his dad. The girl… her name would be
Lillian, Lilly for short.
The doctor hands me Lilly and for
the first time, I get to hold both of them in my arms. Mrs. Knight tells me to
smile, and she takes a picture of me with our kids. “Caleb and Lilly, don’t
worry, you are in good hands.” She whispers as she kisses Lilly on the head,
“they are adorable.”
“They are going to be the best way
to remember him,” I try to force a smile but the tears come fast. I miss him,
and I always will, but they will give me a reason to talk about him.
No comments:
Post a Comment