They snuck out at two a.m. and met
up in Karl’s dirt covered; scratched, and rusted old pick up truck. Opal
brought out the blankets, and Karl provided the pillows. They spent the night
looking at sky, in the middle of the country with no city lights to hide the
stars. Opal lay in Karl’s arms all night. In the morning Karl awoke to the
sound of a bullet clicking into place, and Opal’s father pointing the gun in
his face. There is a rumor throughout the family that Craig was conceived that
night, but they got married after their night together.
I guess we will never know.
After that Vicki was born, followed
by Andy and soon after Eric. I’m going to throw a lot of names out, but only
few matter in the end of this story. The four kids would steal strawberries
from their neighbor. Opal and Karl tried, but we have all heard tales of the
times that they had failed. The kids got spanked a few times, and Craig got
married to Sandy. Vicki struggled with her body image, ate little, and vomited
much, but Scott came along. She ran away with Scott, married him and followed
him to England where he was deployed. That is when Adam was born. When they
moved back to the states, Aaron was born, and then Rachel.
Andy met Pam, and somewhere between
training for war, meeting her, and moving to Colorado they had Lucas at the
bottom of the Rocky Mountains. What a view! Eric, the youngest, met Laurel.
You were born.
Vicki and Scott had Andrew, their
final and youngest child.
Eric was working the late shift as
a manager of a Burger King, Laurel was picking up her check right before a date
with some guy named Daniel who would one day crush her. Eric looked at his
co-worker and asked who that was, clearly interested.
“That’s Laurel, but she’s way out
of your league dude.”
“I’m going to marry her one day.”
And that he did. He always talks
about how he knew the moment he saw her.
Just… Knowing, it must run in the
family.
Craig and Sandy had Bryce, their
only child, and then Stephanie was born to Pam and Andy.
A snowstorm came as they rushed
Laurel to the hospital. It was impossible to see the road, but they made it
safely. I was born that night, and my Mom spent her birthday in the hospital.
Eric and Laurel moved to Missouri
where Eric went to Central Bible College, and Laurel worked for The Assemblies
of God headquarters. There they had two more children when I was four, and
five. Bethany and Jonah.
I ended up moving in with Pam and
Andy to escape family services while my parents packed up the apartment in
Missouri and started to make the move to Ohio. We found a home church,
Dayspring Assembly of God. I was five.
I met my best friends then. I hated
them, was jealous of them and thought they were spoiled and stuck up. It took
me five years to become best friends with them. That was the best decision my
mom ever forced me to make. Introducing Chloe and Sophia and soon after, Ellie.
Opal passed away. After 59 years of
age and 43 years of marriage.
Pam and Andy foster some children.
Their first child they adopt, her name is Alissa. Everyone loves her.
You were the youngest of three
children. Two older brothers who wrestled with you because they thought you
could be tougher, and a sister whom you bonded very well with. You made a four
year mistake, ran from God, became suicidal and God met you where you were. You
were good.
You made a two year mistake again,
ran from God again, became suicidal again, but God met you, found you, placed
joy in your life, showed you what he wanted for you.
Somewhere in there we met once or
twice. Maybe you stood in front of me in Wal-Mart, or I ran into you at the
fair. Maybe you came to the production of Scrooge when I was young Belle. I
shook your hand, and smiled. We carried on a conversation and walked away, not
knowing.
I met my mistake, Tyler; he took my
first kiss at seventeen. I ran from God, convinced that I wasn’t running. He
hurt me and I became uncontrollably bulimic. Not my decision, my body could not
handle the emotional pain. So it vomited at the smell of food. I ran back to
God. I came down the stairs at three a.m. to my Mom, Laurel, pacing. “What are
you doing up?” She asked, “Tyler…” I sobbed. “He hurt you that badly?” I nodded
and sat on the stairs and cried myself to sleep. Tyler one day, supposedly
loved me again, and I ran away from God again. I would have done anything to
not feel pain and anything to eat again.
He was there, and he wasn’t. He
made promises and broke them; I made promises and kept them. We went on movie
dates, to make up for something stupid he did. We went on movie dates because
the one day he was off, he abandoned me at his sisters wedding so that he could
sleep. I danced with Angela and Evelyn instead.
The first romance we had was over;
there was nothing cute about it anymore. I went to college, and he helped me
move. He tried to break up with me, but I wouldn’t let him. Christmas came,
then my birthday, and then the Ohio State meet, and it was over.
I noticed you in the back of the
class, then on the other side of the sanctuary, in the foyer and the Family
Life Center before youth. You didn’t know me, but I paid attention to you,
because you stood out. You’re the reason I came home. You’re the reason I reset
my standards I wanted someone like you. God had other plans though. Not someone
like you. You. Just you, and nobody else before or after you.
God worked, we met, we became
friends. Anthony confirmed what God told me. I caught the bouquets at request
of confirmation. Final request of confirmation, I wanted to hear it from you.
You prayed for me, left me in tears on the last day of Life Groups. “If God is
telling you something, say it, listen to it.”
Bingo.
So I wait. Katie was not as
patient, but that didn’t change anything.
You help me, pray for me and
encourage me, you give me advice, you take me to retreat. I start to doubt, I
tell other girls the story. I accept my position as a future pastors wife, and
the woman praying for me stops.
“You know who you’re going to
marry?” I nod, “but you’re not together yet?” I shake my head, she must think I
am nuts.
Four things, It’s a time of
waiting, a time of transition, he has to make the first move, and this happened
to her. I tell friends what just happened. Sitting in the corner of the
hallway. You walk over and see how we are doing. We stop talking about you long
enough to answer your question. For the first time I look at you with complete
confidence. You are my husband.
I stopped talking to you; I swear
it wasn’t my choice. Silence followed by silence and more silence.
I text you happy birthday, and you
text me happy birthday as well, turns out, it’s the same day. Two years apart.
I come home the following weekend,
spending it with Sophia. Her family throws a party for us, she is twenty-one
and I am now twenty. The snow keeps coming after six hours, and it is time to
go.
Ellie, Michael and I start scraping
off cars and I hear Michael, “don’t you dare fling that snow onto me.” I look
over and he is covered in the white snow down the front of his coat.
“It’s not good packing snow,” she
said as he bent down to the ground, forming a snowball.
“Actually,” Michael says standing
up, “it’s great packing snow,” he says throwing the ball and the white powder
shatters on her cheek, making it red, and the snow sticking to her long brown
hair.
She immediately bends down, and
gathers snow. “Wait, this isn’t happening, I don’t have any gloves…” Michael
says running from Ellie.
Ellie’s snowball hits him in the
back, as I sent one straight into her arm. She gives a startled sound, and
prepares to fire back as I start running and get hit in the leg by Michael’s
ammunition. I bend down, my knees in the snow, “wait, let’s get Sophia when she
walks out,” Michael suggests with our white stuck together snowballs ready to
be fired at him.
We line up on the side of the
garage, and the door slams, we wind our arms back and see Mrs. Schmitz. “Hold
your fire!” Michael commands, “It’s Mrs. Schmitz,” as she turns the corner, she
sees the three of us with snow balls ready to be thrown.
“Don’t you dare…” she says as Ellie
pelts the first snow ball at Mrs. Schmitz’s chest. Lydia walks out, and joins the
fight as I run and start throwing rounds at anyone in my path or whose back is
turned. That’s when Bekah nails me in the back of the head. I grab some snow
off her father’s car, pack it together in my hands, my gloves getting wet and
cold, but I don’t care. She runs, like a rabbit from a lion, and my snowball
hits her on the side of the face. Leaving a chuck of snow on her eyelashes.
Sophia finally arrives with cloths
in her hands, we let her front pass, but send a couple at her back.
Pause the scene for a second.
The snow makes the driveway look
like the inside of a snow globe, when the confetti has settled and it is slowly
falling back to the bottom of the water. It is suspended, I look at Sophia,
who’s mouth is dropped as she is scolding Michael, Bekah is laughing with snow
still stuck to her eye lash. Ellie has Caleb and Andrew cornered in the garage.
Mrs. Schmitz is in the middle of
saying, “get Caleb, he’s not used to snow!” He’s from St. Lucia. Michael is
giving an unapologetic smile; Lydia is getting ready to throw a snowball at the
back of Mrs. Schmitz’s head. In this moment, I am not thinking about you or the
fact that somehow it is supposed to work out and I will marry you. I am not
worried that we have not talked in months, besides saying happy birthday. I am
not thinking about how much this hurts, sitting back and waiting for you. You
are the furthest thing from my mind, it is relaxing and refreshing, I am only
focused on the snow as it continues to fall in sugary chunks. I am focused on
how white it is outside. I am not focused on whether or not I am cold. I am not
sure. I am not thinking about the fact that God told me last summer to go to
Mexico, now he is telling me to go to Madagascar. You are not on my mind; I am
not worried about my family or my roommate’s drama. I am seeing the snow; I am
pausing time, I taking it breath by breath. Capturing every moment. Can this be
made into a movie so I can watch myself be happy forever?
Play.
I hear laughter as Ellie throws her
snowball at Caleb who runs from the garage and grabs some snow to throw back at
her. Andrew stays out of the fight; Sophia finishes scolding Michael, Mrs.
Schmitz roots for Ellie who has started another ball to throw at Caleb before
he can even get one together. Bekah starts forming a snowball, but I am not
sure whom it is for. Lydia’s ball hits Mrs. Schmitz in the arm. “Okay, we have
to go before the roads get worse!” Sophia announces and we all throw our last
snowball. I look at the wide and stretched smiles on everyone’s faces, I hear
their laughs, and see the white snow lingering in their hair, on their coats,
on their cheeks and soaking their shoes.
We gather in the car as Mrs.
Schmitz gives us all hugs, and she asks me how I am doing. A lot better. I ask
her for prayer about Madagascar. She offers me a leadership role in Chicago
this summer. I give Bekah a hug; she’s like a little sister to me. As my arms
wrap around her, I feel her hand travel to my head and it becomes cold and wet
as she rubs the snow all over my head.
Thanks Bek, she smiles. “Come back
with stories about your husband.”
“Oh, I will.” I smile and run to
the car. We make it back to Sophia’s apartment safely and the following morning
I have to go back to school.
You and I still don’t talk. I
change my trip from Mexico to Madagascar.
I compete at the Ohio State meet and
become the designated driver for that party. Unfortunately. It’s funny when
they are drunk at the party, but not when you need directions back to the
hotel.
Miami University is the following
weekend. I meet up with Stephanie for coffee, who is now in college there.
Chloe, who is at Cedarville, and a worship major comes to visit me at the meet.
The equipment still sucks.
But I got
to see two of my best friends.
Katie and I
board our plane to Venice. We see the Eifel tower on our plane switch. We spend
days in Venice, then meet up with the school in Rome and Florence. I come back
a day early to see Lucas get married to another girl named Katie. They are
perfect together.
That was
the best wedding I have been to. I catch the bouquet again. Figures. We host
our home meet, and I wish you would come up, but you don’t. My grips peal, and
I fly off the bar in the middle of my routine. My leg is red, and immediately
starts to bruise. I still don’t like my new grips.
Nationals
comes, we find a stray cat to keep in the hotel for the week. Mason wakes up
not knowing where he was or what happened. Truth is I planted one on him. We
had planned it since the Christmas party. I run into Kenji who I end up dancing
with most of the night. I fall asleep on the chairs outside the ballroom and he
carries me to my room. I wake up during this, but don’t want to walk so I
pretend to be asleep. Sets me on the bed, tucks me in and gives me a kiss
goodnight. That was the last time I ever saw him.
You and I
finally collide again, and I get the courage to ask you for coffee. Just
friends, no romantic interest. You say yes.
I finally
tell you the whole story, tell you about my family and my life. Tell you how I
noticed you. I don’t tell you what God told me, but I tell you everything I
can. You are amazed.
We talk
more at church, when we hang out we sit together, you sit next to me in service
now.
You ask for
my help preparing for service on Tuesday nights, I say yes.
The day
before Madagascar, you help load up the cars, and ask me on a date. We go out
together with just hour’s left of my summer. When I come back from Madagascar,
I will go straight to school. We talk, and I am tempted to tell you that you’re
my husband. We lay under the stars, like Grandma and Grandpa did that night in
their truck. You kiss me for the first time by the pond, with the cicadas
chirping in the background.
Madagascar
changes my life, I pray for people out loud, I step up as a leader, and God
shows me many things to come in my life. Junior year comes, and I go to more
meets. Mason is gone, and Katie leaves half way through the year. I accept the
role as President of the club.
I see you
every now and then. Sundays mostly, if I get the chance to come home. Senior
year you tell me that you have known the whole time, and I tell you that I have
known the whole time as well. You propose in May and three months later we get
married. I win Katie’s bet.
You
continue pastoring, I find a publisher who loves my books, and they are on
their way. I produce videos for The Current. We have five children, three boys
and two girls. Jacob, Carter, Ezra, Mia, and Jana. We adopt two dogs, Brutus
and Marlo, who are larger than yourself, and you train them to guard the stairs
at night. I convince you to get a Pomsky, and we named him Rut. We don’t know
or remember why. When our youngest, Jana, asks for a cat I look at you and
raise my eyebrows. You give in again, how could you say no to that three year
old? His name was Cup, Jana named him. We just called him Cepe for short.
My books go
into their second printing every time. I get asked for movie rights. I end up
writing the script and putting it together. For the prequels, the kids are old
enough to play some of the main characters.
My father
passes away from an overdose on pain medication. Unintentional.
Your mother
passes away, heart failure.
The kids
grow up at Dayspring with their father the young adult pastor, and me by your
side. Jacob follows in his father’s footsteps, Carter becomes the Creative Writer
and Ezra becomes a vet. Mia tries everything and loves everything, but she settles
on the worship major at Cedarville, reminding me of Chloe, whom I have not seen
in a week. I should call her. Jana decides to be a teacher, taking after her
Aunt whom she was named after.
They get
married, Jacob and beautiful girl named Rachel.
Carter and
Michaela. Ezra and Amber. Mia and James. Jana and Logan.
They have
kids, so far twelve total. We are grandparents of twelve children. All of our
kids, mine, Chloe’s, Sophia’s, Stephanie’s and Ellie’s children went on
vacation together with their spouses while we watch the grandchildren at the
lake.
The night
falls, and the kids are in bed. Sophia and Michael sit together on the sand
looking out over the lake. Chloe and Connor sit together, hand in hand. You and I, together, as I watch the lights reflect off the
water. Ellie and her husband, Andy, are together, holding hands as well.
Stephanie and Anthony sit together, head on one shoulder.
I furrow my
eyebrows and look at the lake, remembering the last time we were all together
out and out here. “It really was incredible, wasn’t it?”
Everyone nods,
and Sophia looks at me, “yes, it was.” She says as Brutus, Marlo, Rut, Indie,
Percy, Swift and Jones, our dogs, are lying next to us and wagging their tails.
“You know
Lilly, the last time we were all here together, you almost died.” Chloe looks
at me then laughs. I give her a confused look, and she looks at the fire, then
back at the gasoline tank.
She would
bring up the time that we set the beach on fire, “right, because you almost
killed me.” I laugh and so does everyone else, the women were already there and
the spouses already knew the story.
I look at everyone's wide, and now wrinkled mouths. We may be
old, with our skin wrinkled, and thin, not as strong as it used to be and
the elasticity wearing off, but nothing has changed. That fire that burned in
our eyes during the snowball fight is there as we laugh. The ambition that we had
may have changed, but it is still there. Now instead of writing books, leading
worship and owning dance studios, we want to see our grandchildren grow
up. We still have the same stories, the same attitude and same friendship that
we did when we all took that first blow from an airborne snowball.
No comments:
Post a Comment