Covered in memories it hangs on the wall. It has no idea the amount of laughs it holds, the number of moments that I just look back and smile upon, or the value I have for it.
All day every day it hangs on the wall. It’s the first thing I see when I wake up, but through out the day it barely gets glanced at, but at nights it’s shadow on the wall is the last thing I see before I shut my eyes. Through the years I have placed medals, key chains, photos, pins, awards and so much more on it. Soon after the items were placed, they were all taken down and they got re-organized. Then within a day or so, a few more items would be put back up in all the empty places.
Currently it is flooded with pictures, old and new. There are senior pictures, pictures taken in school and out of school. Pictures at church and even a sign that reads, “Do you get spanked?” and it makes me laugh every time.
I thought the pictures would make me remember all the good times my best friends and I had together. Homecomings, making parodies, photo shoots up that the lake house, and tubing on the lake, sledding, church trips to something called Fine Arts and so much more together. But quite recently these same people that I created so many amazing memories with, willingly walked out of my life.
We try to find time to hang out, but too often our schedules collide and there is no time to see each other. That used to happen all the time, but we didn’t worry because we knew we would see each other at church a few days later. But since they left, it feels empty all the time. The good memories are turning into a pain that I can’t get ride of and it now hurts every time I wake up and every time I see the shadow of what used to make me smile.
So one by one I take down each photo and place it into a box, knowing that someday I’ll be able to once again look back and smile. I come across a photo my best friend and I accidentally took upside down while filming a parody. Then there was the picture of us with pizza hanging out of our mouths, the funny ones, the serious ones and the ones that really have no reasons for existence, but are still there.
I look at the newly blank board. It’s so empty; I look at the wall itself with no more picture frames hanging on it. Again, it’s empty, and that is exactly how I feel, empty. And yet again it knows nothing of how it’s making me feel at the moment.
It’s time for a new start, I say to myself. New memories so I place a pin directly in the center of the board, it was something my mom bought me for doing so well at Nationals. I close the box and label it Round-Up-Jesus! And put it in the back of my closet, along with my old dolls, and hope that one day I could look back and smile at those memories again.
“Hey Bec," mom says over the phone, I sigh; I really don’t have time for this.
“What mom?” I ask annoyed
“I found a box in your old closet, it’s labeled ‘Round-Up-Jesus!’ do you know what it is? It’s taped shut, is it yours?” Suddenly the memory comes back.
Round-Up-Jesus! It was the cheer that our ensemble did freshman year. Our cheer had used to be just “Jesus” plain and simple but one day Tiffani was trying to get us in a circle so we could do our cheer and she kept saying, “round up, round up everyone, round up.”
We laughed at her and said Round up to mock her because it sounded like she was trying to round up cattle or something. Then we all put our hands in and Morgan piped up and said, “how about our cheer be, Round-Up-Jesus!” so that’s what we did. We then added hand motions and it became a small inside joke between all of us that we did all the time before our separation.
“Yeah mom, that box is mine, I’ll come home tonight after my last class and pick it up.”
“Okay, see you soon, love you.”
Later that night I arrived at home and quickly went upstairs, I barely said hello to my mom. I walked into my old bedroom that I used to share with my sister. My bed was gone and it was just hers, soon she would be graduating high school so her bed would probably be gone soon enough as well. I turn to look into my closet and there it sat. Under all her cloths a small little shoe box. I remember the day I put all of the pictures in there. I was so upset.
I grabbed the box and slowly took the tape off trying not to rip off the decorating that I worked so hard on. Although I never looked at the things inside, when I did get bored I decorated it. Once the tape was off I slowly lifted the lid to the box. The first picture I saw… the one with pizza hanging out of our mouths.
Sophia’s voice suddenly echoed in my mind, “This picture definitely defines our friendship right here, pizza, 3D glasses and all” she said reviewing it the day after it was taken on her computer. The next picture was the time at Stephanie’s party when I asked someone to scratch my back and Chloe reached out her hand. As soon as she did that we hear “Oops, my camera just went off,” and we look at Tiffani.
I smile at the memory of how Chloe’s most epic creeper picture came to be…
All day every day it hangs on the wall. It’s the first thing I see when I wake up, but through out the day it barely gets glanced at, but at nights it’s shadow on the wall is the last thing I see before I shut my eyes. Through the years I have placed medals, key chains, photos, pins, awards and so much more on it. Soon after the items were placed, they were all taken down and they got re-organized. Then within a day or so, a few more items would be put back up in all the empty places.
Currently it is flooded with pictures, old and new. There are senior pictures, pictures taken in school and out of school. Pictures at church and even a sign that reads, “Do you get spanked?” and it makes me laugh every time.
I thought the pictures would make me remember all the good times my best friends and I had together. Homecomings, making parodies, photo shoots up that the lake house, and tubing on the lake, sledding, church trips to something called Fine Arts and so much more together. But quite recently these same people that I created so many amazing memories with, willingly walked out of my life.
We try to find time to hang out, but too often our schedules collide and there is no time to see each other. That used to happen all the time, but we didn’t worry because we knew we would see each other at church a few days later. But since they left, it feels empty all the time. The good memories are turning into a pain that I can’t get ride of and it now hurts every time I wake up and every time I see the shadow of what used to make me smile.
So one by one I take down each photo and place it into a box, knowing that someday I’ll be able to once again look back and smile. I come across a photo my best friend and I accidentally took upside down while filming a parody. Then there was the picture of us with pizza hanging out of our mouths, the funny ones, the serious ones and the ones that really have no reasons for existence, but are still there.
I look at the newly blank board. It’s so empty; I look at the wall itself with no more picture frames hanging on it. Again, it’s empty, and that is exactly how I feel, empty. And yet again it knows nothing of how it’s making me feel at the moment.
It’s time for a new start, I say to myself. New memories so I place a pin directly in the center of the board, it was something my mom bought me for doing so well at Nationals. I close the box and label it Round-Up-Jesus! And put it in the back of my closet, along with my old dolls, and hope that one day I could look back and smile at those memories again.
“Hey Bec," mom says over the phone, I sigh; I really don’t have time for this.
“What mom?” I ask annoyed
“I found a box in your old closet, it’s labeled ‘Round-Up-Jesus!’ do you know what it is? It’s taped shut, is it yours?” Suddenly the memory comes back.
Round-Up-Jesus! It was the cheer that our ensemble did freshman year. Our cheer had used to be just “Jesus” plain and simple but one day Tiffani was trying to get us in a circle so we could do our cheer and she kept saying, “round up, round up everyone, round up.”
We laughed at her and said Round up to mock her because it sounded like she was trying to round up cattle or something. Then we all put our hands in and Morgan piped up and said, “how about our cheer be, Round-Up-Jesus!” so that’s what we did. We then added hand motions and it became a small inside joke between all of us that we did all the time before our separation.
“Yeah mom, that box is mine, I’ll come home tonight after my last class and pick it up.”
“Okay, see you soon, love you.”
Later that night I arrived at home and quickly went upstairs, I barely said hello to my mom. I walked into my old bedroom that I used to share with my sister. My bed was gone and it was just hers, soon she would be graduating high school so her bed would probably be gone soon enough as well. I turn to look into my closet and there it sat. Under all her cloths a small little shoe box. I remember the day I put all of the pictures in there. I was so upset.
I grabbed the box and slowly took the tape off trying not to rip off the decorating that I worked so hard on. Although I never looked at the things inside, when I did get bored I decorated it. Once the tape was off I slowly lifted the lid to the box. The first picture I saw… the one with pizza hanging out of our mouths.
Sophia’s voice suddenly echoed in my mind, “This picture definitely defines our friendship right here, pizza, 3D glasses and all” she said reviewing it the day after it was taken on her computer. The next picture was the time at Stephanie’s party when I asked someone to scratch my back and Chloe reached out her hand. As soon as she did that we hear “Oops, my camera just went off,” and we look at Tiffani.
I smile at the memory of how Chloe’s most epic creeper picture came to be…
Written May of 2011
1 comment:
BEST CREEPER PICTURE EVERRRRRR! I just started bursting out laughing! HAHA! Girl I love this! It's really sweet and made me tear up! :') ROUND UP JESUS!
Post a Comment