I recall a time where we sat here, in the same spots, on the
nice blue floor, covered in sweat, snot, blood, chalk, and toenails. We laughed
about body builders following us on Instagram, and how we pulled a cruel prank
on Deshawn.
He received
a photo of me, or her, we, I’m not sure which, crying. We were saying that we
needed to talk to him when he got home. So in the pouring rain, with his heart
racing, he dodged cops, and sped home. He walked into the house, and there we
were at the kitchen counter, sobbing. Our cheeks were red, our eyes were
swollen, there were actual salty tears welling up in our eyes, and Michaela
mouthed, “her and Evan broke up,” keep in mind this was about two weeks into us
being together. When we looked at him, we probably looked like we had just
watched our dog get hit by a car, because that is what we were thinking about
to get ourselves to cry, but seeing the look on his face, we couldn’t keep it
together anymore, and we just started laughing. Our dog was still in our mind,
his shocked face, not knowing what to do, was still staring at us, and we
laughed. After the incident, when we were all laughing, he settled down, but he
was ticked, that’s not the kind of prank you pull on someone he said and left
with his hood up. Evan knew about the prank, but once he watched the video, he
voiced that he wasn’t happy about it either, that was like watching a depiction
of my worst fears coming true he told us, and now we were laughing on this DNA
covered floor.
But that
was someone else, someone whose hair was lighter because the new growth hadn’t
grown in as much, and was slightly shorter from the chop that happened this
last summer. She chopped it because of Ethan, and only because of Ethan. She
was someone who sat in a circle with people she called friends and pretended
that she trusted them, pretended that she wanted to hang out with them, and wanted
to enjoy their company. I care about them, I do, but there was something
missing in all of those friendships. It was like the loose wire that stopped my
van from starting last year, on our way back from Miami, but now I am now in
the effects of the loose wire. The van sat there for a month, in the cold
winter, and me being a broke college student, she didn’t wash our van
afterwards. So on the way to North Carolina, she looked for the plane that was
landing when she came to stops, but we quickly realized that it was our breaks.
Completely rusted, all rotors, all pads, and everything in between for the
whole break system needs to be replaced. All because of a loose wire, and that
is the club house, all rotors and pads need replaced, ASAP.
We started
out with late homework nights, such as tonight, sitting out in the living room,
leaning on Evan, wondering what we were, laughing with people she lived with,
but could not do life with. But slowly, as the semester dragged on, the essays
of books that she did not, and could never care about piled up, the creative
writing assignments got more confusing – I, you, anaphora, interpellation,
politicization – I was keeping up creatively, but the reflections were failing,
and she was suddenly behind. She, I, was cuddled up in my room with my MacBook
Screen split between Netflix, for half, a reflection for a fourth, and
electronic copies of the readings on the last fourth. The dark circles had
grown under our eyes as we were up till all hours of the morning writing, just
to hear our alarm go off at eight in the morning.
They gave
me crap too, about my flight money. It’s coming, I told them. But they kept
nagging, pulling me aside during practices, no wonder I don’t have routines;
they kept asking me if I understood. Yes, I understand, I’m not in kindergarten.
But then I would ask them; do you understand that once I am twenty-one I get
all of the money I need to myself, without needing recites or reasons as to why I need the money. After that, you can have five
hundred and thirty of it. But the flight wasn’t the last of it; it was shirt
money, electric money, wifi money, threatening to change the wifi password if I
didn’t pay Rachel the last six dollars of what I owed her for the wifi by
January second, when nobody is even home to give the money to. The glares that
I got when I bought snow shoes, with money given to me, at request from my
trust fund. The excuses about rules and following rules, that left me in my
bed, whining to Evan, talking him to tears, as he just stared at me, and heard
me, not listened, which was what we needed because we wanted him to listen, not
to solve our problems for me.
That is
when I realized that all they gave me was the nagging, the “yeah, but…”
phrases, that never seemed to end, the quoting of the handbook, the questions,
the swallowing my pride, knowing that I made a mistake using the flight money
for Madagascar. I don’t regret it; they wouldn’t have let me on the plane if I
hadn’t used the money. They gave me this semester, of walking to campus,
holding my eyes open with toothpicks, scraping containers for the last few
drops of left overs because wifi for homework was more important than food.
They gave me a living hell, hating to walk in the door every afternoon, leaving
passive aggressive notes on the refrigerator, bickering in whispers to each
other over shared food, and backing down when I am mad to stop Rachel from
sobbing like a baby.
They gave,
And they
gave
And they
gave, and I took.
At the cost
of her.
No comments:
Post a Comment