Sunday, December 13, 2015

Halloween Bash

Stairs leading to The Club House carpeted,
Where all the shoes will be left tonight.
Knock, knock, knock. Yes? Heads up, there is a party tonight.
It will be loud upstairs.
Pumpkin pie in the oven, the pizza ready to take its place.
Winter cleans floors, Summer cleans dishes, Fall sweeps kitchen and bathroom
Vacuum all the rooms, caution tape the doors, web, the windows.
Rosco, stuffed pet husky, sits in the corner of the couch
Becca, I need to put you in your place, her long grey hair lingers
the bun on top of her head, yes mother.
I roll my eyes, go dress up as Red. I spit fire under my breath.
It’s Halloween, the green eyes glow from the end of the hallway.
Orange illuminating lights surround the foggy window.
Dry ice escapes from the black machine,
Fog looms across the floor, through the kitchen, under the futon,
Around the couch, through the legs of the black wooden end-tables, orange and purple lanterns flickering mini flames on top of burned wicks.
Adam and Eve arrive,
Spring arrives to complete four seasons.
The three blind mice guide their walking sticks across the floor
Harry, Ron and Hermione get the party started,
The wicked stepsisters make their arrival
Red Riding Hood comes out of her cave,
Only wearing her cape because it’s a full moon,
We all need protection from her.
Beep-beep, beep-beep, beep-beep, it’s midnight.
The pizza is ready, melted cheese strung from mouths,
Do I have any sauce on my face? I ask Adam.
Butts pressed against thin metal below the overused futon mattress,
Backs against the cheetah print blankets.
I scoot closer to you, your warm manikin-ed body.
Blue fairy throws her body against me
I am now in the ball gown,
Dancing around the ballroom with you,
The music playing in the background;
You pull me up from the dip and spin me around,
Placing your arms around me.
My head on your shoulder,
I could fall asleep here, despite the fog,
The glowing eyes at the end of hallways, the caution tape,
Despite the whole club crowded, and the hype
Intensity of the beer pong game.
Can you grab my bag?
I’m too comfortable to get up.

                  

No comments: