Porch lights turn on with any sudden movement from our
bodies, summer is turning into fall, and the air is clawing at our appendages,
drying out our lips, painting the cartilage on our ears red, making our noses
run and toes curl under in our shoes. Stephanie speaks in her usual mannerisms,
flailing her arms around, using her hands to tell stories, stories of falling
to the ground when she ran into a guy that she met at a concert. It is stories
like this that make our stomachs ache, and it impossible to risk taking a
drink, fearing that it might end up all over each other.
The porch
is still white, they haven’t painted it yet, and the metal flower patterned
chairs leave imprints on our legs and butts, the kind of imprints leotards
leave when I leave them on too long, but when we stand up from the chairs, it’s
like pulling the leotard off. It pulls against your skin until it realizes that
it is not a part of your body, and lets go, giving relief to the imprinted
parts. Stephanie ends the story without taking a breath, I stood up with my
tray on the counter and I saw him starring at me in confusion. So I dropped
back down to the ground. We doubled over, faces pressed against the patterned
metal table, choking on our spit and snot running out of our noses, laughing to
the point of tears.
We know
nothing else but laughter, because we are young enough that our hair colors are
all still natural. I have not colored my hair 4RV, Chloe has not had the chop
yet, Sophia’s braces are still on, and Stephanie’s hair is past her shoulders.
Becca, that laugh, breathe. You sounded, breathe. Just like your mother,
breathe. The smile stops, turning my wide stretched cheeks into straight dry
lips, the cracks in my lips closing back up as if they were never separated, my
corrugator wrinkles, bringing my eyebrows close together, my orbicularis oris
rises. The look that says, yeah, I remember that night on the trampoline all
those years ago, the bugs were buzzing around the porch light, we were
whispering because your parents bedroom window was right in front of us, you
were telling me family secrets, such as why my Dad married my Mom, for the
money, or the real reason we moved back to Ohio, family services. Stephanie
raises her head. I wondered. You are the only one that knows that conversation
took place, and it will remain that way.
That’s
cute, she laughs just like her mom! We put our cups of hot chocolate into the
kitchen sink, take a seat around the living room, cover ourselves with old
quilts made by Chloe and Sophia’s grandma when she had the free time to make
them these kinds of things. We pull out the beanbags that take up a fifth of
the living room, we let Suzanne turn on the worship music, we pull out our
bibles, our notebooks, our pens, the book we are reading Every Young Girls Battle, Sophia puts popcorn on the table,
chocolate-chip cookies, Root beer, glass cups, vanilla ice cream, and spoons.
So you
remember? Stephanie whispers without turning her head to look at me while
everybody is preoccupied with the food. I nod slowly up and down; I remember
asking her, making her promise me. I’m sure I’ve done it twice, one when we
were four and five, I’m not even sure of the circumstances that lead to it, it
was not a good night though probably a lot of yelling, throwing of inanimate
objects or animated objects, I can tell you, it wasn’t a good night. The second
time was on the trampoline when we were seven and eight, thinking that college
was lifetime away, an impossibility, that my escape would be death, not
college, that it would never change, not that it ever did. I came home with her
from church one Wednesday night with the cicadas chirping in the trees, the
windows of their mini van down, we were reciting bible verses for next week
because we were young and that was our highest priority, but when we arrived at
the house it was one of the first times I had ever been there. They had just
moved in, it’s the same house she lives in now. The one with the big pool that
we would swim in all summer, and jump into from the roof of their one story
house. The house that was simple, but yet it was everything that I wanted and
she got to have, we snuck out to the trampoline, laying on our backs, I explained
how my day went. It started at home, with inanimate objects flying. First
laundry that was sitting on the couch, socks, shorts, t-shirts, pants, then
onto the empty pitcher sitting on the coffee table, the play station remotes
sitting by the T.V., the mail on the counter, the shoes by the door, the toy
mouse on the stairs, the vase at the top of the stairs, the picture frame
hanging outside the upstairs bathroom, the coats in the closet, the glass owl
that I put all of my change in that sits on my desk, as it shatters against the
wall, and all the change falls to the golden carpet, the yellow bumble-bee bag
of nail polish, the bottle of hand sanitizer on my dresser, the pictures that
are framed sitting on my dresser – pictures of days that are way better than
this day - and finally her spit in my face, as I hide in the corner on the top
bunk of the white metal bed. It creaks under her weight, and I hide under the
cherry blankets, shaking, crying, and determined not to yell back, not to make
it worse.
We then
went to church, where the private then became public.
You’re
keeping your promise, right? I whisper to her, making my root beer float.
To never
let you turn into your Mom? Until the day I die.
No comments:
Post a Comment