Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Portfolio Introduction

This portfolio is comprised of three pieces, each drawing from different prompts given throughout the semester. The first, “Promises” is drawn from daily writing practices, “The One” is in apprenticeship to Aimé Césaire’s Notebook of a Return to the Native Land, and his use of anaphora and lists. The final piece, The Blanket Game” is from a prompt given in class about taking what is over-used, cliché or corny and making it into something authentic, such as Kevin Killian’s Argento Series. From the very first week of class, we have been discussing the idea of self-description, how it impacts our identity as writers, and how it is presented in our writing. Each one of the pieces focuses on identity, politicizing our writing, and how our social constructs uses interpellation on us on a daily basis.
            The piece, “Promises,” was comprised of daily writing, pulling from the prompt of memories of church, or church events. I started thinking about seventh grade when my Small Group (bible study) would meet at my best friends house, and that one night when I was reminded of the promise I made my cousin, Stephanie, make to me.  This promise has stayed with me growing up, and has shaped my identity because although she is my mother, and I care for her deeply, I still have those memories, and the feeling to not want to be like her, and to do better. The piece takes what is private, and personal, and once again makes it social. Taking place in a setting like a bible study, a place where people tend to think that these things, these types of promises, and bad memories of our parents should not be brought up or cross our minds. Yet, there we were, trying to figure out who I am in relation to my mother, who my friends think I am in relation to my mother, and where my identity lies when I am separated from my mother.  In her introduction, “Words of Selves”, Denise Riley says about identity “the resulting politics of identity are, by their nature, bound to fall short of their promised redemption” (5). So trying to find the identity away from my mother, and through all these different avenues of who people are saying I am in relation to her, was bound to fall short from actually answering the questions of identity in relation to my mother, especially on the page. However, Riley continues,
“In this sense, my awkward navigations to become, coupled with my constitutional failure to fully be are what actually enable political thinking and language rather than marking some lamentable shortcoming in my ‘politicization’. This makes briefly for an air of paradox: that some lack of politicization (where that term is taken in contemporary sense to imply the keen embrace of some progressive identity) might be needed, in order for there to be mobility, and life within political thought” (5).
            What Riley is stating is that my failure to answer these questions of “who am I away from my mother?” and “who am I in relation to my mother” (and so on), is what enabled the ability to make this piece move from that private night on the trampoline when I made Stephanie promise it the first time, to something social like a bible study. And Riley argues that some lack of politicization might be needed for the piece to move, and to give the piece life within our political thoughts, and I would agree with her. The piece is holding back on politicization, if it were not, the first time the promise occurred would not have been so private. However, it was private, and then the situation was brought into a public atmosphere. Showing politicization, but at the same time, a lack there of.
            The second piece “The One” is taken from apprenticing Aimé Césaire’s Notebook of a Return to the Native Land, in his poem he uses anaphora and lists in a way that makes the reader question if the language really has the ability to escape them. However, instead of questioning if the language can escape the lists and anaphora, I wanted to see if I could escape what my teammates think of me. Each of those, “I am” statements are things that I have heard talked behind my back, when friends confide in me about others confiding in them about me. I am the one who Katie is leaving behind, and she doesn’t seem to care, I’m the one who kissed Mason last year, and he still holds it against me, on and on. These roles, are labels that I have been called into by people who are supposed to be my friends.
            The frustration that comes from this kind of personal interpellation comes out on the page, and in Poetry and Knowledge, Aimé Césaire says, “it is not merely with his whole soul it is with his entire being that the poet approaches the poem. What presides over the poem is not the most lucid intelligence, or the most acute sensibility, but an entire experience: all the women loved, all the desires experienced, all the dreams dreamed… All lived experience. All the possibility” (47). So when approaching an apprenticeship to Césaire, it meant not just leaving the little things out, but giving the poem every piece that it deserved. Not just the grudges, the frustration, the regrets, the questions, but bits and pieces of the stories. When the freshman ask where our rooms are, what time the party is at and all of those nagging questions that I couldn’t answer, I couldn’t leave out. I had to give the entire experience like Aimé Césaire said, and that piece is the result.
             The Blanket Game was the final piece that I started, drawing from Argento Series as a prompt, but using Claudia Rankine’s construct of the “you.” The inspiration came from Argento Series when we were in class and Leah asked, “How can something so cheesy inspire something so authentic?” From there, I looked up what makes movies clichéd or cheesy, and nothing seemed more cheesy than a Christmas party. Although the fact that it was at a Christmas party was never mentioned within the piece the prompt was inspiring enough to bring it to life and make the events of the Christmas party authentic.
            The piece not only mimics politicization, what is personal (nakedness) and turns it into something social (such as being naked in room full of teammates), but it also uses Claudia Rankine’s construct of the “you,” to make a politicized piece very isolated. The blanket game is a very personal situation, very private under the confines of the blanket where you are stripping down until you realize that it’s the blanket that you are supposed to be taking off, nothing else. Yet when you are reading it you find yourself surrounded in a room full of teammates, but isolated under the blanket. Using the word “you” just emphasizes the isolation, the idea of being the last to go in this game, and getting naked in front of friends, but hidden also emphasizes the politicization that is used.
            While reading the piece, there is a sense of unease, between the events of the game, and the comments that are being made throughout it. However, the unease of the piece, and the different emotions that it draws on, comes from the guilt that is played around with throughout the story. In her introduction, “The Words of Selves”, Denise Riley says, “unease lies on the verge of guilt, a condition elastic enough to encompass all too many definitions, of which one is that gnawing feeling of having failed according to rules that I did not make myself” (17). When she writes that, she is talking about failing language according to the rules that we did not write. However, this pertains to the piece because of the guilt that is experienced while being naked under the blanket while hearing those comments, coming from teammates. Those comments are saying that I failed but only failed at rules set up by team members, and when this feeling of failure becomes evident, there is unease for the reader.
            The concept of identity that is searched in this piece is the nudity, how it felt, and the question that Mason brought up as what makes one a virgin? Many people tend to label themselves as “non-virgin” and “virgin” but that identity is screwed up when it comes to the argument between the two young men.
            The final aspect of the portfolio that resides throughout all of the pieces is the lists and anaphora. Although they come and go throughout pieces, maybe with little words of repetition, or the long list of things she threw at me, those formal features are there, and each time that anaphora is used, the pieces seem to restart. 

Works Cited
Césaire, Aimé, Clayton Eshleman, and Annette Smith. "Poetry and Knowledge." Lyric and Dramatic Poetry, 1946-82. Charlottesville: U of Virginia, 1990. N. pag. Print.


"The Words of Selves: Identification, Solidarity, Irony | Denise Riley." The Words of Selves: Identification, Solidarity, Irony | Denise Riley. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2015.

No comments: